Thursday, April 19, 2018

Orchids

Over the past several years, I have gotten into, and am taking seriously my small orchid collection. They are all of the Phalaenopsis variety, with the exception of the one smaller one that is a Spider. After a long time, some of it very frustrating, I found out the best place to let them be. And this year, with me both re potting and fertilizing them a few month's ago, they are in wonderful condition. All of them have shot up multiple "air roots", one of the smaller ones even sprouting 2 stalks. (That's a big deal in the world of raising orchids) My largest, and oldest one, "Helen" has, and continues to produce incredibly large lush deep green leaves and numerous "air roots". But she has not, over the course of the 5 years that I have owned her, send out a "spike". I have tried everything, constant rotation into different locations at night(for a re occurring, consistent temperature flux from day to night) and bi weekly fertilizing. I have placed her in my nicest pot, even NAMED her, in the hope that as some comatose patients can be encouraged to come out or wake up from their sleep due to the positive re enforcement, she will do the same.

No comments: